October 3, 2012

crossing the brooklyn bridge.

On the Brooklyn Bridge
      Life has been hectic around here and I thought I’d give you a quick update on what Jason and I have been up to in New York. I’ve been busy completing my student teaching for in a 4th grade classroom at Bronxville Elementary. The circumstances of actually getting my student teaching assignment were quite difficult and I thought that I might have to wait for the winter semester to completely finish school. I was very blessed to have the support of my church get me in contact with the right people that made it happen this semester. I absolutely adore these children and it makes me more excited for the prospect of having my own classroom someday. 

      Likewise, Jason has also been busy with his coursework at NYU. He takes the train to Grand Central Station and a 20-minute subway to the Woolworth Building, in downtown New York City, twice a week. He’s already made friends with some of his classmates and he’s taking advantage of all that NYU has to offer: getting involved as much as he can and applying for internships through the government for this coming summer. He’s excited to come home and share with me all the new things he’s learning in  international relations, but so much of it is way over my head. We’re just starting to get the hang of our new schedules and luckily, we have still been doing fun things on the weekends. 
Just starting our walk
       Last week, we went to Brooklyn for our first time. Instead of taking the subway there (once we were at Grand Central), Jason and I thought it would be fun to walk the Brooklyn Bridge from Manhattan. The bridge is about a 20-minute walk that is crowded by tourists, vendors, runners, and bikes. The views from the bridge are incredible and they’re constantly evolving with every step. The views include: the skyline with the Freedom Tower that is under construction, a squinting view of the Statue of Liberty, the Manhattan Bridge, a distant view of the Empire State Building and Chrysler Building, and of piers and parks below at Brooklyn Park and DUMBO (down under the Brooklyn Bridge overpass)
Incredible views
      After our walk, we immediately went down Old Fulton Street to get some food at Grimaldi’s Pizzeria. There was a line of at least a hundred people out the door, but we took it as a good sign that their pizza was really good. An hour and a half later we were seated and the pizza tasted delicious. Grimaldi’s pizza is only found in Brooklyn because it uses a coal-fired brick oven, which is illegal in Manhattan. What made their pizza distinct was the crust, the mix of basil and tomato sauce, and the goat cheese. This pizza was worth the wait and we will definitely be back.
I can still taste the magnificence
      After lunch, we strolled on the pier and took in the views of the skyline and the East River. It was a beautiful day and Jason and I at least saw 10 different brides and grooms taking pictures. It still seems so surreal that we live in New York and we’re just a train ride away from the city. We were use to looking for adventure in a small town in Idaho, but here, adventure finds us and there’s no limit to the places to visit or experiences to be had.
No big deal, we walked across the BB

No comments: